Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Day 16: Final Full Day

Wednesday was a sad day for our group because it was the last FULL day at the schools. 
At JHS chapel today, our skit was called "Southern Fried Chicken" which is the name of a fast food place here. The customers came in asking for eternal life. I, as the cashier, asked them how they were going to pay for it. Their answers were good works, smarts, muscles, and money. These were all rejected. Finally someone said they couldn't pay because Jesus had already paid for it. The kids were able to understand it!  
When chapel was over, their SOS, (Superintendent of School) came forward for a presentation. They were so thankful for us being able to be there with them. After many more words of thanks and tears, they presented us with handmade Kente (kent ay) cloth. They are beautiful. 

Instead of having primary and nursery chapels separate, we had them together. Wow! There were not enough seats for all of the kids! The church was so full, It was so awesome to see. 

We had to skip out on our breakfast at breakfast time because we were late for our kindergarten craft time. We got to color the Jesus pictures with them and take lots of pictures. It was difficult today to keep up the energy with them. But they were excited to have us there with them. 



During their break time, we were able to hang out with them. We sat around and talked with them. I showed them pictures of my family. They were very curious about them, my home, America, and the seasons. It was fun to be able to share a part of home with them. 


For lunch: fresh fish! Yes, we did get an entire fried tilapia and we ate it with our fingers. By far, the best fish I've ever eaten! We also had banku, which is a very popular Ghanian dish that is often eaten with soup. It tastes sour, almost like sourdough bread dough. I enjoy it most with okra stew!  


After lunch, we made the Christian fish with the fifth graders. They really enjoyed the fish and were able to Tell us about the meanings of each part. They were glad we came to their classroom on the last day. 

When we got back to the guest house, Kayla, Jordan and I went to Global Mamas to make a few final purchases.  I'm so excited about my recipe book that I bought because it holds many recipes that I have enjoyed here and it's very simple!  In addition to that, it holds some cultural information.

I still wasn't feeling super great today, but at least the fever had gone down a bit.  I ate dinner quickly and decided to go to bed early because I needed to sleep.  I sent a morbid text to Grant saying, "Very ill.  I love you.  Goodnight."  I'm sure that scared him a bit!  It was a little scary being in Africa and really not feeling well because you are just unsure of what you could have come across or picked up along the way.   The group was very helpful.  Jennifer rubbed our feet and Pat gave me a massage for my body aches.  In addition to this, I was tested for malaria.  It turned out negative and eased many concerns.  Although, we discovered that malaria is pretty simple to cure!  Although it has hurt so many, it takes a simple pill to maintain and cure it.  The problem is that it costs GHC 24 which is basically $8 USD.  This is inexpensive to us, but not to everyone in Africa, so they are unable to get the medication they need to be cured.  It's really sad that this is available, but not to all because of such a small cost.  I spread whatever I had with Malinda and so we spent the night being sick together.  Not ideal, but at least we eventually fell asleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment