Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Day 17: Street Food and Final Chapel

Our group had started the day off a bit sad because we knew today was our last day both in the schools and in Ghana.  I have fallen in love with the students and many of the people that I have met here, but definitely not the weather.  I can't do the sweating ALL day, even while taking a cool shower.  It's terrible.  I don't understand how they do it!
Anyway, our day started with our standard chapel services.  JHS went really well and we had the opportunity to pray with them and take pictures with them.  That was a bit of a challenge to get everyone to participate willingly. :)  Primary chapel was fantastic.  We allowed 5 students in both groups to choose their favorite song and it was awesome to see their excitement!  It was hard at the end to say goodbyes.  I don't feel like I made one particularly close friends, but a bond with many groups of students.  They were so welcoming and loving that it really hit home how much I love the educational field and want to continue to be involved with children and schools.
When we picked up the other group, it was great to see that Malinda was feeling better!  She and I decided to walk the streets a final time for some candies, street food and final mental pictures.  We bought some chicken and rice from a chop bar down the street.  It was all good until I came across a bone that looked a lot like a jaw bone with teeth.... NO.  It was a bit mentally shattering.  Especially because Ivan told us that a lot of people there have dogs, not because they want a pet, but to put in their bellies.  My mind was playing tricks with me, so I was done eating right then!  But it was still a fun experience!
We spent some time walking the streets looking for a water satchet (worst water I've tasted!), Milo cubes (also disgusting!) and FanIce Cream (DELICIOUS).  I loved the ice cream, it tasted like frozen cool whip!  Malinda and I also made our last trip to Global Mamas and got matching skirts!  I am all out of Ghanaian money now, but I got so many goodies for myself and my family.
The last part of the day and trip was filled with prayer, looking back on what we had experienced, giving props to each other and friendship bracelets.  I definitely made some relationships that I will never forget on this trip!
As we packed up the vans to leave, we had to say our final goodbyes to Tyra.  This was hard for everyone, but especially for Thomas.  He and Tyra had really bonded and it was difficult to watch them having to say goodbye.  She definitely touched all of our hearts.  The Ghana airport was IMPOSSIBLE.  It took so long to get through all the lines and the communication was definitely lacking.  It was a blessing when we finally got through it all!!  Onto the longest flight path ever!  WOOHOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment