Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Day 1: Extended

WeweWell, our day did not go as planned.... As I arrived at the airports with my 4 bags to check (3 filled with items for the missionaries), I had to figure out a way to occupy myself for 2 hours before Jordan and Thomas arrived so that I could check two of the bags with them. I made the rookie airport mistake of taking the escalator while pulling these bags. About halfway up, they started slipping and fell down to the bottom of the escalator, just bumping along at the bottom as I try to chase after them running down the escalator that goes up. Luckily, a nice man caught my bags and lifted ten to me. All the while, my foot was caught between the bag and the side of the running stairs and I ended up with a hefty cut on my ankle. It was a great first 20 minutes on my own and a bit of an omen for the rest of the day. 
The boys arrived and all checking and getting through security went very well!
We were excited to be on our way! As we arrived at our gate, we start hearing if delays and cancellations from other members of our group and of folks flying out of Omaha to Dallas. Slowly, we start to develop more and more delays. Finally, we are allowed to board only to unload because of weather in Chicago. We are told another 2 hour delay, then another 2 hours and another hour. The flight was finally cancelled and all had to rebook flights. Tomorrow, we will be flying from Omaha to DC to London to Accra. Only 24 hours behind and a memorable 8.5 hours in the Omaha airport. Luckily, Brooke was willing to pick us up and let us crash at her house. Being weary travelers, we all fell asleep quickly, praying for better luck tomorrow! Omaha Airport- 594. Jordan/Alicia/Thomas-0. 

No comments:

Post a Comment