Sunday, May 18, 2014

Day 6: Sickness Strikes!

Vomit was was the sound I woke up to today. Kayla was ill for a majority of the day and I watched over her. Luckily, she felt much better by about 6:00 pm. 
In the middle of the day, another leader took over for a few hours so that we could visit the local markets. Having no idea what to expect, it was a bit overwhelming all of the shops and people! We visited so many shops!  In many, we were told that they made the items themselves and then saw the exact same ones hundreds of times over in other shops. I bought a few things, but was most excited about a painting that I bought from a local artist! He was incredibly kind and talented!!  There was a lot of wooden figures, games, jewelry and clothing. It was a great place to be and I had fun shopping around
 We came back to pick up Kayla. We went to the Accra Mall and ate at Chicken Inn. This is basically KFC but smaller portions and tasted awesome!  I've noticed a lot of portion differences between here and the states. Smaller plates, entrees, soda bottles, etc. Its been very interesting. Then we had ice cream at the Creamy Inn (these are the names of the restaurant). Apparently if there is a picture of something on the board behind the cashier you might as well assume they don’t have it, that’s what Jennifer told us. It came true all they had left was plain ice cream, large cones, dishes, and a few toppings (as in there was less than a spoonful left). It was really refreshing and creamy, loved it! We went into two different grocery stores: Games and Shoprite. It was cool seeing the different things they sell (unique fruits, pop cans are sold individually instead of in a pack).  I also had to visit the Borkenstock store because my ankle injury kept ripping open from fabrics and straps from the shoes I had brought- so I needed some backless options. The exchange rate is awesome right now, so I was able to get them for a lot cheaper than in the US!  The night finished with devotions focused around what we are called to do.... The few days I've spent in the classroom has really brought around a ginormous range of emotions- the main one being that I belong in a classroom. Through the week, I've gotten a high and many compliments on how natural and good I am. I needed this reminder. 
Thomas and I taught a few friends Pitch, but everyone was exhausted, so we hit the hay early. I've been staying up until after midnight almost every night and I think it finally caught up with me! 😁
I pray for health and healing for Kayla. I pray that all our other students also continue to keep healthy.  I pray a praise of thanksgiving for having this opportunity to come here and grow. Also, I pray for guidance as I think a lot of different options for my future.  I am thankful for this group of students- they have taught me a lot and made me laugh! Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment